We understand choosing an energy supply company (ESCO) isn’t always the easiest thing to do. With several companies, prices and plans – it can get hard to decipher which energy supplier is the best for you. Luckily, we’ve outlined the top 5 aspects to look for when choosing an energy supplier.
- Word of Mouth. Getting referrals from other customers is really the best way to select an energy supplier, however when considering several options, it is best to go by lowest rate combined with company reputation.
- Know Your Stuff. Be sure you know your current contract terms, such as the kWh rate you are paying and when your contract is up. This will assist you when speaking with representatives of energy companies about your usage and your current bill.
- Shop Around. Research multiple companies for the best rate and contract length you like. Then, research the company itself. Place the companies name in various internet searches and include search terms, such as complaints. If the company has negative reports, explore them further before you sign up. A quick search of the company’s Better Business Bureau record should be very helpful.
- Read the Fine Print. It’s very important to make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Some ESCO’s will want to compare your fixed rate to their variable rate, but these prices can be completely different for multiple reasons. Be sure to know if you are currently on a variable or fixed rate for energy before comparing it to other energy supplier’s prices.
- Beware of ‘Pass Through’ charges. This is something many energy supply companies have. Pass Through charges are fees that some energy suppliers add on for passing the commodity to the utility company for you. However, there are some energy supply companies, like BlueRock Energy, that do not have Pass Through charges. Be sure to ask this question when talking to a customer service representative at an ESCO.